Music Banter - View Single Post - The Country, Folk & World Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #59 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Musicbanters One-Way community strikes again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarobbarg View Post
This may be an odd request, but I heard a bizarrely "heavy" country song on the radio a few weeks ago and the concept just won't leave me. Do you guys have any suggestions for country bands that are on the heavier or harder side of things? As in, almost hard rock riffing, maybe combined with more stereotypical country instruments/vocal techniques/etc?
Well define heavier. There's nothing inherent within the genre thats going to require it to be light. I don't know of any Country that, say, Sabbath Heavy. And what sort of country did you want?

For people who don't listen to much country, almost anything sounds country with any amount of twang. But for those of us that do, Drive-By Truckers sounds, at best, half-country. So I don't know what you're referring to. If you know any lyrics and we can track down the song, I can give you a few more recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pat View Post
Avant-garde folk? Does this really exist? If it does, then can someone list me an artist or two? I mean I've heard of Psych Folk, Freak Folk, etc, but not avant-garde folk.
Uh well I'd think Devenda Banhardt would qualify. I don't know if I've spelled that correctly but it was a fairly explosive movement mid-to-late 00's. 2005-2008 maybe?

Try this and tell me what you think.

I couldn't find the album version, so this isn't going to sound as "freaky" as it does on the studio version, but I'd say you won't waste your money if you download the entirety of Cripple Crow. I'd up it for you but I don't have a CD-Rom right now.