Music Banter - View Single Post - Men, are you more huggy these days?
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 03:08 AM   #60 (permalink)
MoonlitSunshine
Dat's Der Bunny!

When I first read the title I saw "Man, are you more Hungry these days?" and I thought HELL YES I NEED FOOD DAMNIT. Upon actually reading the thread, i was monemtarily confused as to why the OP changed from "my mum and I were out to breakfast..." to "and then they all hugged" At which point I re-read the title and was mildly disappointed.

As for hugs, I'll happily hug anyone if they want a hug. I don't tend to instigate them that often, but I won't awkwardly turn one down. :P Interestingly enough, I never hug my sister. We just never really have. Guys: certainly a lot of my (guy) friends I wouldn't hug, particularly, against interestingly enough, my best friends, though when I was a member of the local gig scene a few years back, EVERYONE, guys and girls, hugged each other, and you were weird if you didn't.

As for whether we're getting huggier, I think it does depend on culture. There are huggy cultures in the world, and... not huggy ones. I think especially in the UK, guys have up until quite recently been expected to be stalwart, unemotional and certainly not huggy. To show emotion was a definite no-no. With Continental influence, that's changing slowly, but most guys there I think would still not be the huggiest people. Certainly not the 70 kisses on each cheek that some of the eastern European countries have!

- Arthur Dent
MoonlitSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote