Music Banter - View Single Post - Loveless
Thread: Loveless
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
GravitySlips
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
I'm talking more about elevating something to classic status even if you don't like it than just general respect for someone. Those who do genuinely like it I have no problem with as I said. And I never talked about denigrating a whole genre, that isn't part of what I am saying at all, or what most people at Amazon say. I would say those who are most concerned about whether they like albums that are considered good are more likely to stay with the famous things than ever dare mention anything which is far less well known.
All I'm saying is that if one dislikes an album, then saying that other people only like it because it's acclaimed or because it's (somehow) "cool" to like it, is almost always stupid, useless and plain wrong. I'm not accusing you of anything, it was a few of the Amazon comments that struck me as the typical nonsense that's spouted by people who try to justify their dislike of something by blaming "scenesters" or the fact it's "cool" for its acclaim and popularity. When, in fact, there are thousands if not millions of people who genuinely LOVE albums such as Loveless, and are inspired by it.

Insofar as people should form their own opinions about albums, of course I agree. Critics and music journalism are good ways to find music you MIGHT enjoy, but ultimately the listener either enjoys something on some level, or they don't. If people focused solely on the actual content of the music itself, rather than being blinded by abstractions relating to how the music's perceived, then that would be much better. Even in what I dislike, I can usually see some iota of merit and can understand why others enjoy it, or why it's highly regarded. And so I don't appeal to these tired notions of how "scene" or "cool" or popular it is, in order to explain my own dislike/indifference/whatever.
GravitySlips is offline   Reply With Quote