Music Banter - View Single Post - The Art of Arkestration: Sun Ra Discography
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 11:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

Sun Ra and his Solar Arkestra Visits Planet Earth
1958 (released 1966)

Tracks

1. Reflections In Blue
2. Two Tones
3. Viktor
4. Saturn
5. Planet Earth
6. Eve
7. Overtones of China
8. Onward
9. Somewhere in Space
10. Interplanetary Music
11. Interstellar Low Ways
12. Space Loneliness
13. Space Aura
14. Rocket Number Nine

Ok, so I made the assumption that Sun Song was somewhat self censored. After reading that this album was the original intended recording sessions, I realize there was no other possibility. You know what? It shows big time with this album. THIS is a Ra album. A beautiful work of art from beginning to end. No complaints about it's traditional start(or middle for original release) as it's still very characteristically tight. Sun Ra by far is one of the most melodic Jazz musicians I've ever heard(he studied, and was influenced by classical masters extremely heavily, maybe it's the Chopin. Whatever it is, it allows him to shine to true expression in mellow pieces). Not only that but that Sun Ra eccentricity really shows on some tracks. Viktor is a brilliant abstraction of Jazz that I would never in a million years expect from somebody like Thelonious Monk, or Miles Davis. 150% Ra as it's almost all low horns, and timpani.

The musicianship is brilliant, and the eclecticism is there. Some of these are even rerecordings of the albums before I've been having problems with, but even then, they're top notch far surpassing the ones before. His band is perfectly in synchronization, and all the individualistic compositional traits are there. This one is a classic, and a true avant-jazz masterpiece. Not to the pure heights of Ra, but pretty ****ing close, if you ask me.

9.5/10

Highlights:

Viktor, Rocket Number Nine, Reflections in Blue, Interstellar Low-ways(Probably the best song on this album). With that said, a solid album from beginning to end:

(not completely the same, but still good)

I'm going to scrape the semen off my pants now...
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote