Music Banter - View Single Post - Loveless
Thread: Loveless
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
starrynight
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySlips View Post
"MBV were the kings of the scene" - that's a direct quote from a Creation Records documentary I've seen. I can't remember which band said it (it was either Slowdive or the Telescopes), but when shoegaze was in full flow in the early 90s, MBV were almost universally regarded as the best on record, and the best live (although Ride were also amazing live, apparently). Of course there's room for other opinions - not everyone can like the same things - but when their shoegaze peers are all lining up on video to pay tribute, then it's obvious how important MBV were to that scene.
It just sounds like a bit of a hyped remark. I don't mind if some did think highly of them, they were obviously quite famous. But maybe someone else was underrated at the time like Slowdive? So contemporary opinions can be subjective and not see the full picture sometimes.

Quote:
Forgive me for saying this, but why are you so overly cynical about this?
It's hard not to be a bit cynical about popular music, maybe even some other modern arts. Marketing is a big part of it, so is image. If you are on a small label and don't get pushed in magazines and other areas you probably won't be well known even if your music is really good. That means you won't be influential either I suppose, but it doesn't mean you might not have done really good music.

Quote:
I myself, loved the album so much I wanted to start a band and play similar music - I just lacked the means to do so. I didn't want to do it because I thought MBV were "cool" - to the contrary, they were the kind of band I didn't want my friends to know I liked, because of the weird and unconventional way they sounded (I was a teenager, mind).
I'm not directly talking about you in this as there is no way I can know your own personal feelings about the music, I'm talking in more general terms about how music can be received.
starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote