Music Banter - View Single Post - The Art of Arkestration: Sun Ra Discography
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 09:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

The Nubians of Plutonia aka The Lady With Gold Stockings
also 1958 (released 1966)

Tracks

1. Plutonian Nights
2. Golden Lady
3. Star Time
4. Nubia
5. Africa
6. Watusi
7. Aiethopia

Another very impressive album. Probably the least conventional thus far. A lot of experimental drumming, and a lot more focus than "Visits Planet Earth". Would I say it's better? Naw, I really liked the Eclecticism on Visits Planet Earth. Albeit, this is a much better focused, and recorded grouping of songs. Even if the songs themselves, I don't believe are as good.

By as good, I don't want to give the impression this isn't a damn good album. Because, frankly, it is. From a recording point of view, it seems a lot cleaner, and more balanced than the ones that precede it. Tons of strange percussion, low trumpet, non-jazz traits. Also, it's very well paced. The songs near the end are the best songs on the album, and the first is an ear catcher. A good dramatic motion.

Best song, imo, is Watusi which I've heard for the first time. I think is just a really fast, quirky, little song. Nubia is amazing with it's prolonged drum solo, and Aiethopia(which I believe is also titled Ancient Aetheopia on later albums) is an amazing song which combines all of the traits that make Sun Ra genius.

Another brilliant release.

9/10
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote