Music Banter - View Single Post - Who deserves the title "The King of Rock and Roll"?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 06:34 AM   #211 (permalink)
Howard the Duck
Live by the Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Dog Moon View Post
What Elvis did was push the beat and make it rock & roll. The Carl Perkins original is laid-back country in feel. Sometimes the vehicle driving the song (Elvis) is more important than the original writer. Another example is Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain covered by Willie Nelson. Elvis brought Rock & Roll, which was black music, to the masses. Such things can not be understated. But, this is just my opinion. Not saying you are wrong, just what I feel. Someone has to break the mold.
Carl Perkins is more authentic rockabilly

I don't think Elvis was doing anything new to Blue Suede Shoes, the things he did was just speeding up the beat with heavier accents, towards a more Afrocentric style

I do, however, say that when he was with Scotty Moore and Bill Black during the sessions at Sun studios, the music then was pretty innovative and relatively new, incorporating jazz, blues, country - then again, they only revitalised bluegrass, folk and blues standards
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote