Music Banter - View Single Post - Loveless
Thread: Loveless
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 12:46 AM   #28 (permalink)
starrynight
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySlips View Post
Well, we can agree to disagree.

Critics can be wrong, of course. The fact that 20 years later it's still (in most quarters) heralded as the best album to come out of the shoegaze scene, speaks volumes for its quality.

Loveless was a definitive moment in the shoegaze genre. For most people, it blew anything released prior in the genre out of the water. Ask almost all the shoegaze bands themselves and they'll tell you that. What better "objective" evidence can you get, than testaments from Slowdive, the Telescopes, Chapterhouse, Ride, Swervedriver, Lush and many more. Surely the bands in the scene are the best placed to make statements about it? I've seen this in the Creation documentary. The fact this album is still revered by critics is nothing to do with 20 years of critic-after-critic hyping it up. It's revered because it's a brilliant and groundbreaking album - whether you or others like it or not. That's the prevailing opinion, and it's one which I fully endorse.

PS - If you don't believe it's groundbreaking/unique/original, please feel free to point me in the direction of something released before Loveless that has that immense, swirling, crushing guitar sound -- I would love to hear it!
There are different kinds of shoegaze perhaps, not all of it has a crushing guitar noise through it or alternatively foregrounds that anywhere near to the extent MBV did. I'm sure some groups were influenced by them, just like some were influenced by The Cocteau Twins or others. And I still think on just pure achievement in recording they seem overrated. I thought you said Slowdive were better for you anyway, do you think Loveless is the best 'shoegaze' album?
starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote