Music Banter - View Single Post - Fury in the world of Folk
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe View Post
Dylans' voice is a different matter & it changes over a number of albums. Listen to "Nashville Skyline", "New Morning" & "Self portrait" & his voice is mostly quite clear & pleasant
On other albums it is quite raspy
I don't know if that is what Joni was reffering to when she reffered to his "fake" voice.
What do you think of Dylans more recent material, by which I mean the last couple of decades??
To me Dylans' best album was "Desire"- just such a beautiful sound. Much of Dylan s' later material left me cold
Not really surprising that Dylan`s voice has become more raspy after forty-odd years of singing, so I can`t see why anyone would call that fake.
Yes, absolutely; Desire, Blood On The Tracks and Street Legal are the albums I never tire of. As you say, a beautiful sound, with the violin on Desire, and some of his very best lyrics in those haunting, epic story-songs. So I was disappointed too by some of his later albums. I thought he was returning to form with Oh Mercy and Love And Theft, but the albums of the last two decades never reach the impossibly high standard that he set in his prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
Yeah, he changed his last name to Dylan as inspired by Dylan Thomas, no big deal. People in the entertainment industry do that all the time. I don't know what inspired Joni to badmouth Bob, but I think she's very wrong on all counts.
I agree about the name changing. In fact I think it`s pretty commendable to name yourself after some strange Welsh poet because you admire his work so much.

And how about Joni`s "Madonna = Nero" remark ? No-one is commenting on that !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe View Post
On the subject of Dylan, does anyone recall a rather dodgy charechter called AJ Weberman (sp?) who was a self styled "Dylanologist" & whose main means of research was going through Dylans' garbage?
Yes, I`d forgotten about reading articles by/about AJ Weberman in the music press years ago! Thanks.
Dylan really hated him, I think, - understandable if you imagine someone going through your trashbin and writing about it in the newspapers. That`s very invasive. Didn`t he also do a lot of analysis of Bob`s lyrics ? He counted up how many times Bob used certain words, like "death", and tried to explain what Dylan "really meant" by them.

Finally, not to be too one-sided, how about Joni Mitchell`s best albums ? My candidate is Blue from 1971; a collection of beautiful, honest songs in which Joni strikes a very intimate note. Aha ! Maybe this is why Bob is "fake" by comparison !
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote