Music Banter - View Single Post - Bulldog's Armchair Guide To Elvis Costello
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #196 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Cheers pal. It's always good to know people actually read stuff I've done here.

So then, let's get to the meat of this eh

What I don't think I said in that review is that I didn't give that 6 to AF lightly. It was, after all, the first Costello album I ever bought, and thus the one that got me started towards collecting the discography, reading the books and eventually making this thread. As you can imagine, it's a very important album to me, even if I don't like it as much as other albums.

I know plenty of people love that album and that I'm in a minority with my take on it, but to me it suffers from the same key pitfall that a lot of other out-and-out stabs at a high chart position does, that being that the singles are fantastic but surrounded (mostly in this case) by more mediocre numbers. Busy Bodies, Chemistry Class, Green Shirt, Moods For Moderns - a few album-only cuts that I think drag the album down.

True, that review's going to be three years old come November, but I stand by giving it a 6 to this day.

It would've been, but there are a lot of Costello albums I listen to more and prefer to it though. And I didn't really want to go around dishing out 9s and 10s with this thread any more like confetti than I already have. It's also worth mentioning that .5 ratings aren't a lot to do with any of that Pitchfork bollocks, but something I resort to when I'm too torn between two ratings to decide on one or the other.
Appreciate the reply, cheers.

Out of interest, on topic of AF, what's your view of Big Boys and Party Girl? I really think both of those songs are brilliant.

I agree that Green Shirt turned out to be a weak song on the album. I think that was unfortunate, as would you not agree that the acoustic demo version on the TYM extras is good stuff?
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote