Music Banter - View Single Post - Bulldog's Armchair Guide To Elvis Costello
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #197 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
Appreciate the reply, cheers.

Out of interest, on topic of AF, what's your view of Big Boys and Party Girl? I really think both of those songs are brilliant.

I agree that Green Shirt turned out to be a weak song on the album. I think that was unfortunate, as would you not agree that the acoustic demo version on the TYM extras is good stuff?
Along with Senior Service, Party Girl is easily my favourite non-single track on Armed Forces. It's just a really slick, smooth song, and that lyric's up there with my favourite that Costello's ever written - one of the finest, most miserable lovesongs I've ever heard. Big Boys is a very good song too, and doesn't sound bad by any stretch in its final presentation. I do think it would've benefitted more had it been recorded for This Year's Model though, as I reckon a punkier, more guitar-heavy method would've done it a world of good. Still a really good song all the same though.

And, yeah, Green Shirt's acoustic demo sounds much better than the version that made it onto Armed Forces. The latter version kinda stutters through its runtime, like the song's not really sure how it wants to deliver itself if you know what I mean. You can hear that there's a good song under the surface, but it really does sound very overproduced to me.

Another thing that bothers me about that album as a whole is that in Tiny Steps, Clean Money and Wednesday Week, there are some great songs that got left off it as well.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote