Music Banter - View Single Post - Bulldog's Armchair Guide To Elvis Costello
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #199 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
Totally agree about Tiny Steps. I'd kinda wondered about that myself. At first I'd thought it was a non-album single or something. But I guess not. Either way, it's a hell of a lot better than Sunday's Best and Mood For Moderns.

I happen to think Busy Bodies has a great melody to it, though can understand your criticisms of the song.
Maybe Busy Bodies isn't so bad as a lot of other songs I could mention. I wouldn't say any of the Armed Forces tracks are, no matter how weak I think they are in comparison to, say, Oliver's Army, Two Little Hitlers, Peace Love & Understanding etc. Each song does have its merits, but one thing I've always disliked about Busy Bodies is that lyric. It just uses different kinds of wordplay to say the same thing - promiscuity wears you out. It wouldn't be so bad, but if the musical backing or melody isn't that strong (to me, anyway), it just comes off as a bit pompous and clever-clever if it comes across as just showing off like that, which is why I love the simplicity of the Party Girl lyric so much. Any bloke who's never felt like the character in that song simply hasn't lived.

Quote:
As for Clean Money, I like that song a lot. Thankfully Elvis recycled its best lyrics for use on the brilliant Love For Tender. Similar to how he recycled Cheap Reward's lyrics on Lip Service.
If there's a positive to leaving Clean Money off AF, it's that it ended up as an even better song on a much better album. You'll often find Costello recycling his more obscure lyrics and musical ideas like that. There's one outtake from Trust called Twenty-Five To Twelve which gets revamped several times before it appears as the Invisible Man on Punch the Clock - not the best album it could've ended up on, unfortunately.

Quote:
OUT OF INTEREST, I'm having a lot of difficulty finding the full bonus track versions of Get Happy and Trust. As in, I could probably download them, but want the CDs. I have ONE of the bonus versions of Get Happy!, but want the HUGE one with the 50 tracks. That looks awesome. Have you heard it? I'm really curious about the demo versions of songs like Opportunity (such a great song). What is the Trust bonus disc like?
Yeah, I've got all the double-disc reissues of the man's albums, and they're basically all worth the trouble of finding hard copies of if only for the sheer effort that's gone into them. There's an accompanying essay penned by Costello himself to each album from My Aim Is True up to All This Useless Beauty which are each very in-depth and anecdotal, and really give you your money's worth.

And that's not even taking all the demos and outtakes into account either. The Get Happy one's just great. To be honest I never really listen to the demos that much, but I can tell you that the demo for Black and White World is much better than the album version - one of the very few weak points on Get Happy. Two of the outtakes, namely Getting Mighty Crowded, Just a Memory and an absolutely gorgeous, slow-burning version of I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down are some of my favourite Costello songs ever.

Trust had some fantastic songs left off it, so you should definitely look out for that reissue too. There's a song on it called Sad About Girls which is my joint-favourite song that Costello's ever sung (along with Six-Fingered Man on the River In Reverse). Seriously, as a Costello fan, you just have to find a way of listening to it. I'd offer to upload them for you, but for some reason I only uploaded the actual outtakes from the sessions to my computer and didn't bother with the demos, and my hard copies are on the other side of the country! Nevertheless, if you want the bits of the package I've got on me at the moment, just let me know and I'll be happy to oblige.

You should definitely look into both those reissues those, as they're well worth it. The packages even make Costello's weaker albums like Goodbye Cruel World, Punch the Clock and Kojak Variety worth the fuss too, as I find myself listening to all the bonus material supplied waaaaaay more than the albums themselves.

Quote:
Every time I listen to Elvis I'll notice some brilliant lyric I never really noticed before. New Amsterdam: "Til I step on the breaks to get out of her clutches". What a f$cking clever piece of phrasemaking with the double meaning of clutch.

Eh. A bit of a schizophrenic message, but I just love Elvis so I say whatever pops into my head.
I know the feeling
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote