Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Musical Stages of Life
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 03:42 AM   #28 (permalink)
Scarlett O'Hara
Make it so

Default Then And Now: Describe Your Music-Loving History

6-10 I listened to pop groups like the Spice Girls, B-witched and S-Club 7. I then discovered The Rock Radio Station and discovered groups like Metallica, Black Sabbath and more.

At 13 I remember walking my nana's cats after granddad had died and really got into dance music and the club mixes on Saturday nights. I listened to my cassettes where I taped them with remixes by Kyle Minogue and The Eurythmics.

The Nu Metal thread reminded me of all the bands I've out grown. For example when I was 14-15 I was a huge Korn, Manson, Arch Enemy, Blink 182 and CKY fan. I went through a stage of trashy rock (anti-pop) but developed into some more sophisticated rock by 16, such as the Stones, Uriah Heep, Cream, Deep Purple and Pink Floyd. I think my main reason for the more heavier/angrier music was to coincide with my rebellious nature. Later on I felt more connected to music that spoke to the soul not just to the mind.

From 17-19 I was a big fan of English groups like Oasis and U2, and began to really get into electronica such as Fat Boy Slim and Robert Miles. 90's Techno/house was my main collection. Of course I was always into the mainstream stuff that my dad put me onto from his days of rocking out.

Now (23) I'm still collectively into the 60/70/80's rock but my dominant taste is for electronica groups such as Deadmau5, Aphex Twin, Daft Punk and many others (just mentioning the well known ones). I have gained a huge appreciation for my native music which largely dominates my journal particularly in the dub/reggae/roots/drum and bass scene which I believe are some of the world's best. Fat Freddy's Drop is a great example which I know many members on here agree with. I have also dabbled in Jazz (Sadly only Miles Davis), Classical (Mozart, Beethoven and other composers), French (Julien Dores, Edith Piaf) and more alternative music (E.g. Placebo, Muse).

I would like to continue exploration of indie music which I do enjoy and other crazy alternative groups. I am a big fan of trip hop and groups like Crystal Castles which I can't even figure out what sub group they belong to. I've also been exploring older hip hop music like Notorious BIG and Tupac. LOVE BIG.

Edited due to seeing past content.