Music Banter - View Single Post - Charles Manson
Thread: Charles Manson
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Yes, I remember, right at the beginning of this thread you made it clear that you were talking about the music, not supporting or condoning the man, which is a commendable distinction to make.

You`re right, as well, the Beach Boys shouldn`t have recorded his songs without crediting him as composer, but wasn`t it only ever the one song ? I`m not really convinced that Manson was quite the victim that you paint him out to be. After all, Dennis Wilson let the Manson Family use his home. Did Wilson really promise, as well, to make a musical career for Manson, or did he just promise to give the guy a try out and access to one of the most sought-after recording studios of the time ?

Yes, the Manson groupies probably made quite an impact on Dennis Wilson ( although I imagine that any one of the Beach Boys could probably have picked up a groupie in their own right if they felt so inclined).
Anyway, if you`re interested, here are a couple of quotes from Ed Sanders` The Family about what was apparently going on at the time:

* " Returning from a recording session at 3 a.m.,Wilson discovered Manson and about twenty nubile caressing females in his living room. A friendship developed, and the Manson group underwent a multi-month mooch on Wilson`s resources that drained him of about $100,000."
* " There was one incident when M pulled a knife on Wilson, held it to his throat and said, " What would you do if I killed you? " Wilson reportedly just shrugged and said, " Do it !" and M lowered the blade."
* " When the single ( Cotton Fields/Never Learn Not To Love ) was released, it did not sell so well. As payment for the song Manson evidently got some cash and a BSA motorcycle."
* "Things got weird for Manson (at Wilson`s house). The Family had pretty much devoured the scene. Wilson`s fabulous rock and roll wardrobe became community property and Manson gave away Wilson`s gold records. This was evidently distressing to Wilson, who abandoned ship and moved to a house near the beach. Shortly thereafter, Dennis Wilson`s manager threw Manson and crew off the property."
Well, he had to have known Manson was an ex con. It's foolish to invite an ex con into your house just for an orgy or two. Besides, if Wilson didn't expect Manson to expect him to give him a chance. Why did Manson share his demo with Wilson? Seems very odd thing to do.
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote