Music Banter - View Single Post - Any other anarchists on here?
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 06:13 AM   #161 (permalink)
Dotoar
Supernatural anaesthetist

Maybe we can finally get a discussion going here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I think generally speaking, a society should try to maximize the quality of life for those who live in it now and for the future, perhaps a bit similar to the utilitaristic ideal of maximizing happiness / minimizing suffering.
What exactly do you mean by 'society' and by what measures do you affirm 'happiness'? And speaking of utilitarism, how big part of the society has to be gratified and, relative to the measure, to what extent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I have slightly more detailed ideas on how to best achieve that long term, but none of them have included anarchy so far. A working anarchic system doesn't mean that people will be happy just like a working dictatorship in North Korea doesn't mean north koreans are happy and basically, I have little faith in anarchic systems getting the most of what I want from society in the long term.
Well, any form of expressed goal such as happiness-maximizing by political means are by definition self-excluded in any anarchic system since there is no monopoly of jurisdiction, much less governmental welfare activity, in such systems. The anarchists themselves are however nonetheless arguing wether the civil society should embrace capitalism, mutualism or some other means of upholding the order of events.