Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Rap Artists
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #678 (permalink)
Jester
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oojay View Post
NO SHIT. Of course the analogy is falacious, just as falacious as your original generalization was, THAT WAS THE WHOLE POINT.
But it really wasn't. LOL. That's what you're fucking missing. There's a difference between making a general statement and comparing two things THAT ARE NOT COMPARABLE. Teens and "white people" are not a comparable group at all, therefore, your analogy does not work. Get your shit together, son.

Quote:
It is in no way a fact. It is your opinion which you formed based on a generaliation that you made. It's not even arguing semantics at this point, you seem completely unaware of your own ignorance.
Yes, it is a fact. Like, if you think it's not, if you think Aesop Rock would appeal to a majority of teens, you're just an idiot, dude. There's no way around this. A majority of PEOPLE wouldn't even like Aesop Rock. If you want to prove this, conduct a little experiment yourself. Introduce Aesop Rock to 100 randomly selected people. I bet you the people who like it and become fans or even casual listeners is in the minority. I'll bet you a thousand fucking dollars.

Jesus, there's a lot of people who don't even like hip hop because they don't know good hip hop--they just take what's given to them over the radio, because people who "care" about finding and exploring music are in the minority. If you disagree with that, then you're being disagreeable to be disagreeable. You can't tell me the radio / TV / mainstream media is not a primary source of music / entertainment for a majority of people. My point with this being that when the majority of people out there listen to pop, their taste is not likely to fall in line with Aesop Rock.

Pop music is constructed a certain way--the formula is simpler because it's easier to appeal to more people that way. Aesop Rock's music (well, None Shall Pass, kinda) again, doesn't really fall in line with this notion.

Quote:
I disagree that teens are his target fanbase (as I've never claimed otherwise). But I would imagine that Aesop Rock appreciates all of his listeners equally, no matter who he was targeting his music at.
THEN SHUT THE FUCK UP. That's my goddamn point, and you're trying to "disprove" what I'm saying, but you're not even attacking my point. You're just calling me ignorant for making a general statement, like it's against the ****ing law of logic to generalize on ANYTHING, like it's IMPOSSIBLE for a general statement to hold any sort of truth.

Quote:
If you would have stated your opinion like this in the first place, you could have avoided 2 pages of bickering.
Right. I've said it before already, and my first argument was on that basis. Sorry if you're too goddamn stupid and missed it.

Quote:
And who are you to attest that he doesn't spend hours on end utilizing thesauruses and dictionaries to write his lyrics. Using complex words doesn't equate to being "deep" or "meaningful." And you need to watch your smartass mouth. This may be an internet forum, but running your mouth is bad karma. You may end up getting stomped the fuck out and having your wifey getting stripped naked right in front of you (kharmically speaking of course).
See, when did I ever say "big words = INTELLIGENCE"? Stop putting words in my mouth by making hasty assumptions. I said that a lot of words he will use are above the level of an average 15 year old. Argue with that statement. Whether or not he uses a thesaurus or dictionary is irrelevant (you realize a LOT of rappers use dictionaries/thesauruses as tools to build their vocabulary? And what the hell, if someone TRIES to build their vocabulary, TRIES TO EXPAND THEIR KNOWLEDGE, that somehow belittles their credibility? They're actively seeking new ways to express themselves... Expanding the brain is good.)

And lol @ trying to like, rile up fear in me. What the fuck? LOL.

Quote:
I never made a differentiation between the two. You tried to demean people for learning by being taught by others. How does that differ from actively doing research on your own? You're still reading books that were written by other people, and not introducing anything new to the equation.
Dude, once again, NO I DIDN'T. I'm demeaning people who aren't trying to learn, and only learn what's put in their heads, rather than trying to fill their heads. If the ONLY way you learn anything is because it's forced into you, and you don't have any sort of curiosity to learn on your own, then that's a lazy person, man. People should actively seek information, not be passive and just take in what comes around.

Quote:
It's called arguing to the extreme. I'm trying to make you realize that you're erroneously holding him up on some pedestal like he is the greatest lyricist in the history of music.
Uh, how is a nonsensical hyperbole going to prove anything?

Quote:
Anyone who believes that Aesop Rock has contributed more unique and astounding work to society than William Shakespeare has absolutely ZERO understanding of art or literature. You need a CT scan homie.
Right, I never said that, I don't even know how you arrived at that assumption. I don't believe that. Did you even read what I said? You completely avoided the similarities that I noted. That means there's some sort of point in common that can be compared between them; it doesn't mean "AESOP ROCK IS JUST AS GOOD AS SHAKESPEARE!"

Quote:
Actually, if the artist exlplains what the lyrics mean, but the listener disagrees, the listener is absolutely wrong. If I draw you a picture of a racecar and tell you that it is a racecar, but you swear up and down that you think it looks more like a squirrel, YOU ARE WRONG.
Well, there's definitely a difference between the use of words for making pictures and the use of visual art to make pictures. There's a difference between the interpretation of ideas through words and the interpretation of something that you can physically see. You can show me the race car--ideas are a lot more complex than that, and they're infinitely varied by subjectivity.

But, still, you can show me a song that has a CLEAR, CLEAR message in it and tell me it's impossible to argue against the artist's point, and that is what I was really expecting you to do, because we're talking about music, not visual art. (I'd say visual art's not as open-ended as things like creative writing.) But anyway, bring me a song like that to make your point, and I'll probably just be like, "okay, sure, there's a clear definition for that song." And for the record, it's probably bad/cheap/cheesy art because art's not at its best in didactic form (oh boy, here's the part where you call me an elitist again, because everyone's art is equal and I'm being insensitive!).

Quote:
Yes, back up your opinions by being a grammar and spelling Nazi, that will really help your credibility. "Conscious" rap is an umbrella term, which Aesop Rock most definitely falls under. And don't call me an "infidel," it makes you sound like an even bigger douche.
Are you kidding me? That was the entire joke. You've been calling me an elitist for whatever reason, and I saw an opportunity to correct you, so I did it with an elitist demeanor to fulfill your predisposition towards me. I didn't realize it would go so far over your head, (infidel).

Common is conscious rap. Mos Def is conscious rap. "The Message" is conscious rap (I hope you know that song, because if you don't, well, you're not as good as me and my incredibly vast knowledge of hip hop!)

Yeah, Aesop Rock is kinda conscious rap, but it's not like, what he'd primarily fall under. He'd probably be called backpacker rap or abstract rap or "indie" or "alternative" rap. (I hate the terms "alternative" and "indie" though.) Don't get me wrong, though, Aesop Rock has a lot of conscious rap undertones, but t's like... If people were fans of Talib Kweli, Blu & Exile, Common (all of these are very much conscious rap), and asking for recommendations, you're not gonna be like, "OH YEAH MAN, AESOP ROCK IS YOUR DUDE." He just doesn't really fit as well under that umbrella.

Quote:
Yes, thank you for finally realizing what is really going on here! My mommy didn't hug me enough as a child, so I go on to internet forums to pick fights with people who are elitists in an attempt to appease the massive black hole this is my tortured soul. Seriously dude, get a life.
Any time, man. If you ever need to talk, you can always shoot me a private message. I'm all eyes!

Quote:
You're the one that pops up on here towing the line for an artist simply because others don't agree that he is Christ incarnate. Get off Aesop Rock's dick for two seconds and look around buddy, there's more important things in life than being an elitist douche.
Right. I'm arguing in favor of an artist that I really like, on a forum which is meant for expressing different opinions on music, and the point that I originally was making (before you attacked me with silly "elitist" comments and completely irrelevant arguments) was that Aesop Rock's primary target fan base is not likely to be teenagers because of his complex approach. It's easier to reach people, ESPECIALLY YOUNGER PEOPLE, through simpler methods. But then you got all butthurt acting like I'm simply writing off anyone who doesn't love Aesop Rock to be idiot fucks. I'm not doing that at all, lol.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote