Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Rap Artists
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 01:36 AM   #683 (permalink)
Sparky
not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Are you kidding me, dude? I think the guy's ridiculous, but somehow we've got into discussing authenticity of interpretation, breaking down analogies, opinion vs fact, teenagers and their clearly fully-developed minds, Aesop Rock's credibility, pop music, and whether or not Aes is writing 2THAKIDZ.
Neither of you have been interpreting ****, its just you saying aesop isn't for the majority and oojay saying that you aren't allowed to say what isn't for the majority.

Aesop Rock writes what seems like ( while keeping in mind my lack of textbook education)more traditional poetry, or just highly interpretive lyrics. I can appreciate this more in other genres when it is accompanied by singing vocals instruments and music that has a range of sounds and progression, not just a repetitive loop.

When i listen to rap I'm in it for the commentary, in a sense i want to be "sold" the rappers opinions and outlook on life through recalling of expireances, jokes, **** talk, etc. I listen to rap primarily for the character types, not to try to find "myself" in the artists lyrics, not like other genres.

I'm not saying it has to be entirely digestible, but Aesop's lyrics are admittedly incredibly personal, and for a lot of his material I'm certain their is no message he is really trying to convey(though you'll probably disagree with that) and my interest fades and his voice just turns into melody in the back of my head.
Also, this:

I was actually kinda happy he made his own aesop rock-style sex jam

Also, as for the target demographic being teenagers, that was the wrong wording, i'd say for a while that was the intended marketing. He had a campaign going on mtv, and the ****ty skeleton cover art of "none shall pass" and kids writing aesop lyrics on the walls of my highschool just kinda left me with that impression. I'd say rap music in generalis focused more on teens and young adults however, you aren't seeing any grown ass men at wu tang shows, method man is performing for 9th graders making them chant "we want how high 2" in between songs. You still have a 38 year old slug scraping the bottom of the barrel for any adolescent angst or premature rebellion he can milk for one more cornball atmosphere album.

Last edited by Sparky; 04-28-2011 at 01:51 AM.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote