Music Banter - View Single Post - The American Football Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 01:42 AM   #994 (permalink)
Dirty
Account Disabled

I have no idea what the Vikings are doing to be honest. I am hoping for their sake they still plan on signing a veteran free agent QB like McNabb or Hasselback. They should still be trying to win now and Ponder has no business starting. Hell he had no business being considered in the 1st round in my opinion.

For my Falcons... Not sure what to think right now. I think I still like the move, but I'm not sure. Falcons have made some risky draft moves these past few years and have been really hit or miss (Hit: Matt Ryan. Miss: Jamal Anderson). I'm not even sure I spelled Anderson's name right, that's how little impact he has had as a 1st round pick a few years back.

Falcons had a deal in place with the Bengals to move up and get AJ Green, which I would have loved. I still like Julio Jones though and I think he has stud potential. Fact of the matter is that Tony Gonzalez has 1 or maybe 2 years left. Michael Turner is over 30 now. I think they saw a chance to get a rare type of receiver and went for it. And you know what? I support the aggressive move. They did give up this year's 1st, 2nd, and 4th. AND next years 1st and 4th... I view the 4th round picks as kind of expendable. Most of these guys are gonna be average players and backups. Guys with the talent levels of other players you can sign as free agents. Next years 1st rounder will probably be a low pick again so they aren't giving up a top pick or anything.

Last year Roddy White was bothered by a knee injury and I think Atlanta realized... HOLY SHIT if this guy has to miss games at some point, we are totally fucked! Their only serious concern is secondary, mainly safety and nickel/dime cornerbacks and I don't think they were gonna find anyone at #27 to come in and start right away. Nickel and Dime backs you can draft in the 3rd round or later anyways.

Still sucks they wont have a 1st round selection next year, but they arent a team with a ton of needs in my opinion. I thought receiver was probably the 2nd or 3rd most important need for them behind safety and eventually they are gonna have to draft a TE and groom him for after Tony's retirement. I don't view draft picks as valuable as most people, and instead of maybe collecting 4 or 5 average players over the next 2 years, they went out to get 1 stud player. I just hope Julio is as good as I think he'll be.

But right now, I'm ****in excited to have a potential big impact receiving threat. The problem with Atlanta (other than coverage) is that they aren't a team that can come from behind. One of the least explosive teams in the NFL. And now that will change.

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote