Music Banter - View Single Post - Sounds Like Bin Laden's Dead
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #175 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
I see. I haven't heard the speech so I have no idea.

Is America truly a religious focused nation (i.e. the Christian bible belt) or has that changed now?

/off topic
No. Its not. And Obama has said we are a secular nation in a global speech in Cairo. Its being blown WAY out of proportion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian E Coleman View Post
I'm not really surprised this has turned into a religious discussion. And this is why.

1. The terrorists are a religiously motivated group in part. (mostly artificially its more about rich men wanting to stay rich and get richer and using religion to accomplish this).

2. The USA is supposed to be a secular state, but a lot of people (none that I recall really meeting.. but I do live in Canada) apparently think this is a religious war.

3. People like me view this as being a war of the west against religious tyranny.

4. Many other people view this as a war between two religions christianity- islam. (this is sort of 2.)

So religion is pretty tied in.

People like me think that the war is a bit self defeating if we validate religious subtext and give people any reason to believe its about anything other than pay back, oil, and now re-elections.
I'm just glad you're saying now what you tried to hide earlier. You're just upset about every issue going on. Obama wasn't the politician you thought he'd be despite what he said in the campaign.