Music Banter - View Single Post - Sounds Like Bin Laden's Dead
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 04:16 AM   #380 (permalink)
MoonlitSunshine
Dat's Der Bunny!

Oh, I have no doubt that that's the case, Crash. My comments about understanding the other side were not meant in that fashion. I know people in the US Military and I have the greatest respect for them, and I apologise if I came across in that manner. My comments about not understanding were directed at those who claimed that the 9/11 attacks were in no way provoked, as I have personally, quite recently, come across muslims who have opened my eyes in that respect. It was still a deplorable act, but similar to how I can understand how the bombings in northern ireland started because a small group of violent militants played on the fears of the general public, I can understand how militant muslims could convince youngsters with ideals that the only way forward was to attack. It was still an unforgivable act, but... I understand why it happened.

As I said in the original post, there are definitely as many if not more muslims who are jovial, amiable people, but I think it would be naive to assume that that is the general feeling: Look at france, for instance, and the massive amount of animosity there, or Sweden, where there have been muslim-oriented riots, or in the UK, where many muslim communities have adapted a sort of "Isolationist" system, where they have almost entirely refused to integrate into their community, congregating in areas and making the indigenous population feel unwelcome. Unfortunately, I think that is what sticks in the minds of people more than anything when they think of muslims, and I also think that while that sort of behaviour certainly doesn't help on their part, I would not be surprised if it is something about our actions or manner which, in ignorance on their part, has been misconstrued as offensive behaviour. As I said, the blame is on both sides, and definitely not just on America.

That said, I am not trying to blame anyone for "not making the effort", because that is again like flogging a dead horse; blaming someone for not doing it won't make is happen any faster. I am as guilty as anyone else of having not made the effort, because it's all too easy to be so ignorant that you don't realise your own ignorance. The sooner we can realise our own ignorance, perhaps the sooner we can come to an understanding.

- Arthur Dent
MoonlitSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote