Music Banter - View Single Post - The Indie & Alternative Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #234 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozinbloozin View Post
Thanks for the recommends there Burning Down. I guess I shouldnt have been so loose with my initial stament when I said im completley clueless. I also said that about another band the other day and after someone posted a link turns out I had heard of them and recognized the song. I just didnt know them well enough to associate a song with their name. I have of course heard of REM and always liked the losing my religion song along with a couple others. I guess its more the Indie genre im not as familiar with and to be honest im not that good at catagorizing songs to a specific genre. So I may know a song or the group but be ignorant as to what genre it belongs to. Other then classic rock,rap,country, and the obvious ones. So I apologize for making it seem as though im completley oblivious to anything from either of these genre's but I am in the dark for the most part.

At any rate I finally made it through all the vids you've posted and ill check into giving some of the albums a try as well thanks.
No problem. Back in the 80's, before they got really big, REM were considered indie. 80's indie - college rock, an alternative to what was popular at the time (like hair bands and Madonna). I know you will probably check out a few albums from them, but if you were to only check out one or two, I'd highly suggest their first three releases - their EP Chronic Town, and first two albums Murmur and Reckoning. Those albums really shaped indie and alternative music.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote