Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 10:50 PM   #2776 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby4780 View Post
Jimi's guitar playing is absolutely terrific, it almost seems it's not of this world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I think that was what he was after, I heard he use to like to read Sci-Fi paperback novels, and that influence his writing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozinbloozin View Post
What do you mean thats what he was after? After what exzactly? Fact being that before his career ended he was getting tired of lighting guitars on fire and having to do the whole on stage gimic peformance(even though hendrix hated that word). But he was getting boo'd yes Hendrix was getting boo'd off stage for implementing new ideas he had for a new direction he was trying to take his music. Everyone still wanted to see the wild man breaking and lighting guitars on fire and playing with his teeth. Which is part of his legacy and part of the reason I like him as well. Just didnt know where you were trying to go with that statment.
Heres a little segment part of a biography ive seen done on Hendrix. the whole thing is an hour or maybe two, but this is condensed down to like 5 mins. Which of course is an incredibly short length of time to try an encapsulte everything that Hendrix was. Id recommend looking up the whole episode if you have the time. Its a lot more in depth and tells of all the struggles he went through, and gives insight of who Hendrix was as a person. It doesnt just focus on all the glamour at the pinnacle of his stardom, but what it took to get there as well. I have yet to find anything else as contributive as this piece was. When you go to the biography.com make sure you type in full episode or you'll get the condensed 5 min one ive posted for you below. Which maybe all you care to know about Hendrix or more than you ever wanted to know in the first place. At any rate enjoy

Well, what I meant was...

I was watching the Monterey Pop Festival and one of the performers (either Michelle Phillips or Pete Townsend - I forget) said something like "when Jimi came on stage played, his music sounded like was from outer space." I didn't know what she meant at the time, they heard it for the first time and compared to the music at the time, I thought it was another way of saying his playing was "out of this world" some people say desserts they like is ("cordon bleu") "out of this world" - I thought they were just complimenting him. But after learning the he like to read paperback Sci Fi novels, and the example of the songs that were mentioned that the writer felt were influenced by his love for Sci Fi, I reconsidered what she said. So when Colby said "...seems it's not of this world." I agreed, I felt Jimi conscientiously made an effort to play music that he imagine to be from "not of this world" the same as a band today would play Space Rock. I didn't know if applying Space Rock to Jimi Hendrix would be a retronym, or a debatable issue for 90's Space Rock fans so I didn't mention it.

Space rock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

btw - those boo's you mentioned came from the Monkee's fans.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 05-19-2011 at 10:55 PM.