Music Banter - View Single Post - The Big Bang AKA Where The **** Did It All Start?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #22 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Well, what you have to realize is that gravity is one dimension in a million that constitutes life. I think basically what Carl Sagan was trying to say is the fact that if you take way the mystical, loving, consciousness of God, you have nature which forms on it's own, and constitutes what God is in every other way.

Whether or not you consider that 'God' or not comes entirely to a debate of semantics.
He makes an interesting point, but I often see people on MB make posts suggesting that God (capital G) is synonymous with nature. The word "God" with a capital G has been defined many times, but I've never seen a definition which allows it to be used as a synonym for nature or natural laws (definitions typically include a spirit or an infinite will) so I think people should stop doing so. If people are not writing about God as something sentient, then they should be using a different term to describe what they're thinking of. If they don't think of God as something sentient, then I don't think they should write that they believe in "God".