Music Banter - View Single Post - American Police Brutality
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #71 (permalink)
someonecompletelyrandom
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I can honestly tell you I have never had that experience in my life. Not only that but I've lived in several different parts of the US in my life and I've never seen someone who wasn't a cop carrying a gun out in public. As I said earlier in this thread it's important to keep in mind that things vary a lot from place to place here. What may be completely acceptable and legal in very pro-gun states like Louisiana or Texas may not be acceptable or legal in other parts of the country.
Likewise, furthermore I currently live in Texas. I think the perception of gun freedom in the US is a little warped in other countries. There really aren't that many people carrying firearms on them at any given moment. A lot more people own weapons, but they're often never used beyond recreational (hunting, target shooting) purposes.

Although, as Janszoon said it definitely depends on the area. But in the age of instantly accessible worldwide media, the confusion probably comes from reports coming out of high crime areas like parts of Detroit, where violence is rampant. These are but small areas of a very large country, where on average gun violence isn't as frequent as perceived.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote