Music Banter - View Single Post - American Police Brutality
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #75 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Not that I'm coming down on either side, but protection from home invasion was not the primary reason why we have a Second Amendment. We have a Second Amendment so that if we are invaded by a foreign power or we ever have to fight a war against the government, local militias can be formed immediately. Local militias would be pretty much completely useless against a professional army, so it's debatable whether this amendment actually has any use that requires it to be an amendment these days. The fact that it is though, means gun nuts feel that it's a "god given right" and aren't even willing to discuss the issue. We should at least be able to have a real public debate on the subject.
My opinion of personal firearms has nothing to do with the Second Amendment. It has everything to do with my basic human right to protect myself and my family. As long I have the option to use a gun to achieve this and have the option to do so in a way that is proportional to the threat, I'm going to take it. As for this point in time, it doesn't make any sense not to give myself a fighting chance...
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote