Music Banter - View Single Post - The Send Someone Something They Dont Listen To but May Like Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #663 (permalink)
Blarobbarg
Do good.

Alrighty, let's get this thang done.

I asked for something completely mind blowing. RVCA sent me this. Here's my thoughts!

So the first full listen I had of this album, I was on my iPod and doing lawn work in the hot sun. I was quite impressed, and possibly because of the weather, really felt like the album was quite... summery. Very fun, excited, bouncy... I don't know. Just very summery. It was obvious from the beginning that it was a 60's record. It had a strong similar feel to some Beatles songs or early Alice Cooper even.

As I listened to it more closely, I really began to hear the intricacies of the music. It had influences and facets all over the musical map. I was right the first time, there was a certain bounciness to the album... but there was more. Though I couldn't understand the lyrics, some songs really seemed liked they were conveying sadness, or even insanity.

Anyway, was my mind blown? Noooooot exactly.

This album was a winner. It had a few low moments, but all in all, was quite excellent. But my mind was not completely destroyed and taken over with an obsession for all things Gilberto Gil or tropicalia. That said, I did enjoy it.

Bottom line? Good album, but not perfect. 7/10.

PS- I'll get to my Astrobrite review later. Still mulling over it, honestly.
Blarobbarg is offline   Reply With Quote