Music Banter - View Single Post - The Folk And International Roots album club
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 04:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ashbery
Groupie

I'll throw out a nomination for one album that'll definitely be a contender for my album of the year this year.

Mamani Keita - Gagner l'argent français (Working for French Money), 2011

Mamani Keita's 3rd solo album is another extension of her expert fusion sensibilities. On Gagner l'argent français, she mixes traditional Malian folk music with western rock, funk, and electronic styles. Each of the 10 songs has an undeniably unique personality, granted in no small part by Keita's own vocal style. While she sticks closely to the traditional west-African chanting that's common in her culture, she also augments it at times to fit the eclectic blend of sounds that she fronts on this album.

Perhaps most importantly, Gagner l'argent français is an album that celebrates diversity. I have not found an official lineup for the album, though the sheer number of instruments from different cultures that can be heard throughout is a testament to this. Though it covers a lot of ground, the heart of this music comes from Africa and is an expression of Malian culture. Fun fact: Since Mamani Keita is Malian royalty, the caste system in her country technically forbids her from making music. She is the sister of the "golden voice of Africa," Salif Keita, who broke this taboo many years ago, and she naturally followed suit. I like the think the world is better off for it.

Note: This is not an easy album to find. As far as I know, there are no full songs on youtube from this particular album (the title tracks on there begin about halfway through the song, skipping the beautiful intro to the album.) There are a few songs from her previous albums on there, but she has evolved her sound since. Of course, I would be happy to assist anyone looking for this in PMs. In any case, here is one song from her second album (that I have yet to track down and listen to), Yelema.

This song is not representative of her sound on Gagner l'argent français.