Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #2782 (permalink)
NSW
Bigger and Better

Here we go peeps. I promised a certain member I would post this nomination, and so now we're closing it down and going out with a bang. No, he's no musician, but he's done much for the music scene.

Nominated by James:

John Peel

"Great band....................Great session"

The iconic words of the greatest music mind whoever lived and although he never recorded any music, I think he certainly belongs in the Hall of Fame. 90% of the artists people cream over on this site were championed by Peel, and it's possible that you wouldn't know of their existence if it wasn't for him. The Fall, The Pixies, the White Stripes, Pavement, The Smiths, The Black Keys, Autechre, Can, David Bowie, The Flaming Lips, Dinosaur jr., Guided By Voices, Jimi Hendrix, Joy Division, Led Zeppelin, MBV, Nick Cave, Sonic Youth, Belle And Sebastian and loads more that I can't be bothered listing, are all artists that are loved on here by mostly everyone, and John Peel had them all record Peel Sessions and then played them on his show. Without this vital endorsement these artists could be completely obscure by now, and may even have packed it in. John Peel is perhaps the most oopen minded being I can think of, he'd never dismiss a whole genre and was always looking for another band to endorse no matter what genre they were (as long as they sounded good), he helped make genres like Hip-Hop and punk popular and tried to make them accepted by the public, even if it meant losing listeners.

John Peel started off as a DJ on a pirate station before it was closed down, after that the BBC recruited him and from then to his death he was playing obscure tunes everyweek. The great thing about him is he isn't a big "funny" personality like Chris Moyles or anything, but he's still the greatest DJ of all time because of the music he played and the way he made you feel like a best friend pleading you to "listen to this one". So please induct him people because music today would be horrifically different without him, and we all owe him a lot.