Music Banter - View Single Post - Do atheists believe that Jesus existed?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #96 (permalink)
SIRIUSB
Luciferian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Connoisseur View Post
I'm not sure I follow, the gospels were selected during the Council of Hippo around 400 AD or so. The Edict of Milan had only been issued a few decades before which allowed for Christians to worship freely and not be persecuted. I don't know if would classify the early Christians as victors.
It wasn’t until the fourth century at the Council of Hippo in AD393 that our present New Testament was officially accepted by the orthodox Church. Although it should be stated, leading up to this event, the twenty-seven books that make-up the corpus of our New Testament was in circulation among the early Christians. In order to understand its development, however, we should first define what is meant by the term, “Canon” of scripture.

Quote:
If by victor you mean God triumphing over Lucifer then yes, I suppose they are victors. It's all about perspective, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to Satanic or occult doctrine but I'm sure whatever manifestos are central to that sort of faith has a completely different spin on the Christian tradition in terms of the struggle between God and Lucifer.
The word Lucifer is found in only one place in the Bible -- Isaiah 14:12 -- but only in the King James and related versions: "How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! . . ."

The King James Version is based on the Vulgate, the Latin translation of Jerome. Jerome translated the Hebrew helel (bright or brilliant one) as "Lucifer," which was a reasonable Latin equivalent. And yet it is this Lucifer, the bright one or lightbearer, that came to be understood by so many as the name for Satan, Lord of Darkness.
SIRIUSB is offline   Reply With Quote