Music Banter - View Single Post - Best and Worst lyricist
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #41 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
Bump.

3 pages? Is that it? I love discussing lyrics/people who have those ways with words.Well..

Lennon/Mccartney, Morrissey, Ian Curtis, Alex Turner, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, Kurt Cobain.

And I can't believe no one has mentioned this guy - Nick Cave.
I'm not really a fan of his, and haven't heard much of his stuff. (Just the 1 album)
But the man seems like an absolute brilliant story teller.
^ Yeah, so do I, though my praises for Lennon/McCartney are limited: their Beatles material was good, but their solo stuff showed up how weak their lyrics could be. IMO, they very rarely made it to the league of the really inspired lyricists:

Already mentioned in this thread: Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Paul Simon, Roger Waters
Not yet mentioned : Joni Mitchel, Captain Beefheart, Syd Barrett

Hopelessly unfashionable today, W.S.Gilbert wrote hundreds of lyrics which were so clever that some of them have slipped un-noticed into our language. For example, the phrases "Let the punishment fit the crime" and " a short,sharp shock" are both from Gilbert and Sullivan songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzak Geek View Post
As for the worst - Too many to mention in one post. Although, for some reason, one that has always stuck with me as one of the worst lines ever was by Dr. Dre, "Never let me slip, 'cause if I slip, then I'm slippin'." (Ain't Nothin' But a G Thang"… Classic.
^ That line is so bad ! Thanks. Some other worst lyrics ever :
America: " The heat was hot..."
Boney M: " Ra Ra Rasputin, leader of the Russian dream."
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote