Music Banter - View Single Post - London riots
Thread: London riots
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #93 (permalink)
Ben Butler
Music Addict

This guy just organised some event on Facebook, people put all kinds of silly things on there that are not to be taken seriously. It was humiliating enough no one turning up the unusual location he arranged and he will lose a lot of friends over this.

Four years is absolutely ridiculous considering he didn't really do anything wrong and you have most people being banged up for no more than six months for far more serious offences.Cameron is coming down far too tough, politicians should not be interfering in the judical process. The Conservative party are hypocrites, these are the same people involved in the expenses scandal, banking crisis and phone hacking scandal. Or is the message, if you are in a suit the law doesn't apply!

Back to my other point, the reaction of the communities hit by rioting youngsters was to come together to clean up. A week after the riots, there are few burn out buildings and longer term problems. But for most of the areas involved, it's back to business as usual. Britain isn't broken, it's remarkably fit and healthy. We have a resilient multicultural society with a high level of security in our relationships.

I am far more frightened by the vindictive condemnation and desire for harsh punishment by the goverment and the right wing press than by the looting. I feel sorry for the kids caught up in the mindless excitement of the crowd and paying a heavy price because the goverment wishes to crush those involved rather than have to consider its responsibility for what may be going wrong. I fear we have a goverment with no clue how the other half live and which does not seem to give one!
Ben Butler is offline   Reply With Quote