Music Banter - View Single Post - London riots
Thread: London riots
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #98 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Butler View Post
Seriously, five months for handling a pair of stolen shorts and stealing a bottle of water!

It states in today's Guardian that convicted rioters are getting 25 % longer prison sentences than they normally would at a magistrates court. Also, 70 % of rioters are imprisoned, 2 % is the usual figure for a magistrates court. They would usually get community service or a fine, the sentences are disproportianate to their crimes.
But surely you can see the difference between stealing a pair of shorts and bottle of water in a riot compared to normal circumstances? One is just a normal case of theft, whereas the other is theft whilst participating in an orgy of agression against society and the establishment.

I don`t find the thefts particuarly serious offences, but what I do find disturbing, is just how easily people are swept up by the mood of a riot and become part of the rabble, that then participates in theft, violence and the damaging of personal property. As for the rioters, I think the sentences are too light and should range from very heavy fines to longer term prison sentences. The message has to be, that this form of behaviour is just not really acceptable in a modern society and BTW before you suggest I`m a conservative.......well I`m not.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote