Music Banter - View Single Post - The Folk And International Roots album club
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

This Is Fire (2006) by Spires That in the Sunset Rise

Felt like we needed a new suggestion or two to help this thread become more active. So... here you go. This Is Fire, Spires That in the Sunset Rise's most accessible album, is not only a great entry point for the band (an all-female one at that), but also free folk and avant-folk. Of course, I use the term "accessible" lightly mainly due to the fact that this album is still very experimental... Squeaky/beautiful violins, ominous guitar playing, and vocals similar to that of The Raincoats and (occasionally) the almighty Comus. This band is slowly becoming one of my favorite folk artists... along with Big Blood, Jandek, and Bert Jansch, and I hope we all get a chance to listen and discuss it in the future.

Desertshore (1970) by Nico

You probably know of this album... So I won't say too much about it. It's experimental, folky, dark, drone-like, and it has very unique female vocals. I'll finish on a few quick notes: she's not tone-deaf (like many claim), she has the most interesting solo career out of all the other Velvets (in my opinion), and this album isn't completely murdered by her harmonium playing (such as in a few of her previous releases). That's all...

I hope this helps...

Last edited by TockTockTock; 08-20-2011 at 11:53 PM.
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote