Music Banter - View Single Post - Strategies Against Architecture II - The (NEW) Avant Garde/Experimental Album Club
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 01:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob. View Post
no....i was think just re nominate....just to....i guess keep it a bit more fresh.....although if you all want the older nominations in there i'm fine with that.....
Oh, alright... I guess I'll just renominate the albums by Tunnel Canary and Volcano the Bear (sorry... lazy).

Here's a new one:

I Hear a New World (1960/1991) by Joe Meek and the Blue Men

It is widely believed that the avant-garde ventured into rock music around 1966 or '67 with bands such as The Mothers of Invention, Godz, The Red Krayola, The Velvet Underground, and The Monks. Unfortunately, there is one album that is criminally overlooked... I Hear a New World by Joe Meek. Originally, half of the album was released as an EP in 1960, but I would rather we listen to it in its entirety (which was later released in 1991). Essentially, it takes "old fashion" rock/pop and applies elements of avant-garde and electronic music to create a (mostly instrumental) concept album filled with spacey soundscapes. To my knowledge, this is the first album to ever bring experimentation into the realm of rock music. You could also say this is the first psychedelic rock album as well as the first rock concept album. I might be getting ahead of myself by saying that, though...

Anyways, it really doesn't matter how many "firsts" this album accomplishes. What matters is is if it's worth listening to and if it's enjoyable. I assure you... it is. It is one of my favorite rock albums of the 60s, and I have listened to it on multiple occasions...
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote