Music Banter - View Single Post - Classic Albums: Nirvana - "Bleach"
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #34 (permalink)
Necromancer
Divination

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BastardofYoung View Post
It wasn't irrelevant at all. I was not really anymore influential than say Mudhoney was at the time, I think Superfuzz Bigmuff had just about the same impact at the time, even Sub Pop thought that Mudhoney was going to be the band to break into the mainstream, at that time I think they thought Nirvana had potential to do so, but were not going to be the ones to break grunge mainstream.

Another fact people overlook in the whole grand scheme is Hole's debut album, "Pretty on the Inside", granted it was not grunge as much as a noise album in the vein of Sonic Youth (Kim Gordon even produced it)... but it outsold Bleach and got great reviews as well, Hole were the bigger band until Nirvana broke. I like that fact cause it counter claims all the talk that Courtney only got famous cause of Kurt, when in fact before they were a couple, she was doing better than he was... Of course that all changed when Nevermind was released, but up until that point "Pretty on the Inside" was doing better than "Bleach" in terms of sales.
Ive always been a fan of Courtney Love myself, but I actually assumed Cobain helped launch her career as well. That's some good information Bastard! concerning her career.
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote