Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan
Thread: Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #273 (permalink)
blastingas10
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pat View Post
Why does Dylan receive so much hype and praise for his music?

I realize this sounds a bit condescending, but I genuinely want to know...
Because he was great. He was a great lyricist. He was a poet. He inspired just about all the greats, such as the beatles and jimi hendrix and even blues greats like freddie king. He was the greatest protest singer and political songwriter of all time. You have to understand the time period that dylan rose to fame in. The 60s were a very crazy time. His songs were the anthems of the civil rights movement and anti war movement. He even performed at the famous march on washington where martin luther king would give his greatest speech.

He revolutionized perceptions of the limits of popular music. He defied existing popular music conventions. He added lyrical depth to rock n roll, which really didnt exist before him. Dylan has both amplified and personalized musical genres. His recording career, spanning fifty years, has explored numerous distinct traditions in American song—from folk, blues and country to gospel, rock and roll, and rockabilly, to English, Scottish, and Irish folk music, embracing even jazz and swing. Hes also very underrated as a musician. He didnt suck at guitar like some tend to think, he actually was pretty good. He was a good harmonica player, organist and pianist. Trust me, ive seen him live. I couldnt believe how good he was at the organ and harmonica, most of his records dont do him justice as an instrumentalist; mainly because his music is all about his words.

You wanted an answer, here you go.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote