Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan
Thread: Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 06:57 PM   #275 (permalink)
blastingas10
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra View Post
A) Everything Dylan did was folk norm. The lyrics, the sound was pioneered by people like Woody Guthrie(Who was inspired by the songbook of countless unheard of songwriters in America since the 1800s.). Dylan did NOTHING that hasn't been done ten thousand times over.

B) Yes, sixties were the time when protest was a trend. So, all of the protester sing-songwriters before him could be considered having a tougher gig.

C) Anything he has explored beyond generic folk and rock probably can be attributed later in his career after his spotlight, and yes, when you have enough money to hire any producer, and musicians you can pull off any type of music, you don't even have to write it.

D) His lyrics continually use "Sky Die Lie" rhyme schemes. He writes songs about getting stoned, and hating Vietnam at the time where any two bit hack could wow people with such content.

E) I don't care who he influenced. If you ignore the massive folk tradition that influenced every aspect of him, you don't realize how dispensable he is.

He was a poppy trend that fed people the opinions they wanted, without an iota of subtlety, the way that was in the fashion at the time. Not a revolutionary in any regard.
Thanks for the insight. I disagree with everything you said. Everything he did was folk norm? absolutely wrong. I dont ignore the massive folk tradition that influenced him, i love folk music. folk was his first type of music, not his only. He pioneered the folk rock genre. He writes about a lot more than getting stoned and vietnam; that statement proves your ignorance on this subject. Tell this to Hendrix, tell it to john lennon. Both are musicians of a much higher caliber than you are. Thanks for your opinion, youre entitled to it. You probably think hendrix and lennon were just poppy trends. Skie die lie? I dont know what songs you are listening to.

Last edited by blastingas10; 09-27-2011 at 07:22 PM.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote