Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan
Thread: Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #278 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
I guess Robert Johnson, BB King and Stevie Ray Vaughan were all just doing something that had been done "ten thousand times over."
Stevie Ray Vaughan... yes, but Robert Johnson invented so many guitar chords and techniques that it would be foolish to say that. Needless to say, Dylan didn't really do anything unique or innovative (unlike Johnson). Does that mean he made terrible music? Of course not, but that certainly doesn't make him the god that people made him out to be.

Quote:
Folk is where Dylan got his start. He put folk on the map.
Folk has been around for hundreds of years... I'm pretty sure it has been on the "map" for a while now.

Quote:
Professor of poetry at the Univeristy of Oxford, Christopher Ricks, published a 500-page analysis of Dylan's work, placing him in the context of Eliot, Keats and Tennyson, and claiming that Dylan was a poet worthy of the same close and painstaking analysis. Former British poet laureate, Andrew Motion, argued that Bob Dylan's lyrics should be studied in schools.
That's great news, but... here's the thing: being a versatile poet does not make one a versatile musician. For me, music comes first... lyrics come second (if the music even has lyrics).

At the moment, I view Dylan as I view Nirvana... They both popularized the genres they worked with, and they are both hyped to death by the media. However, I would love to have my mind changed, though (it's just unlikely).
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote