Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan
Thread: Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #279 (permalink)
Sneer
Let it drip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pat View Post
Stevie Ray Vaughan... yes, but Robert Johnson invented so many guitar chords and techniques that it would be foolish to say that. Needless to say, Dylan didn't really do anything unique or innovative (unlike Johnson). Does that mean he made terrible music? Of course not, but that certainly doesn't make him the god that people made him out to be.

At the moment, I view Dylan as I view Nirvana... They both popularized the genres they worked with, and they are both hyped to death by the media.
People don't make him out to be a god for his musicianship so much, though I think he's a great musician.

It's his lyricism. When considering the social and political context of some of his releases, they become hugely significant. He gave a voice to people who felt they didn't have one. His words have the capacity to communicate with everybody on some level, which is one hell of an achievement I say.

Also, he is a hugely influential musician, The Beatles, Byrds, Fairport Convention... All, to name a few, indebted to him in some way or another.
Sneer is offline   Reply With Quote