Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan
Thread: Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #288 (permalink)
blastingas10
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
One of the things that sets Dylan apart from his contemporaries is the consistent quality of his albums, certainly up to the 1980s, with only the odd blip like Self Portrait.

If Nirvana had stuck with the Bleach sound, the band almost certainly would not have become as revered as it is. Nevermind and In Utero display a greater focus on songwriting and lyricism, which ultimately is what made Cobain such a significant figure in the social context of the early 90s. It's what he communicated to the youth that made the music so appealing, not how distorted and loud he could make his riffs. In this sense, you could view Dylan and Nirvana in a similar light. The Pixies-rip off thing is just lazy journalism/elitism at the end of the day, if you're playing that card, you could just as easily call Bleach a Melvins-rip off.

Anyway, back to Dylan.

Youre right. Dylan was very consistent, self portrait was his only bad album for a long time. Its been said that Dylan released it as a joke, which is believable, considering the next album he released was the great New Morning. Self Portait consisted mostly of covers, which is a very unusual thing for Dylan.

I agree with your comparison of Dylan and Nirvana. I think Kurt was a good lyricist. Youre right about his focus on songwriting and lyrics with the Nevermind and In Utero albums. I think both of those albums were great. I dont see how Nirvana could be a rip off of the Pixies. I completely disagree with that. Like you said, just lazy journalism, or some jealous Pixies fans. I think Nirvana was better.

I dont see what more is left to be said about Dylan. It seems that the main Dylan hater doesnt have much left to say.

Whats your favorite Dylan album?
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote