Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan
Thread: Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #289 (permalink)
Sneer
Let it drip

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
Youre right. Dylan was very consistent, self portrait was his only bad album for a long time. Its been said that Dylan released it as a joke, which is believable, considering the next album he released was the great New Morning. Self Portait consisted mostly of covers, which is a very unusual thing for Dylan.

I agree with your comparison of Dylan and Nirvana. I think Kurt was a good lyricist. Youre right about his focus on songwriting and lyrics with the Nevermind and In Utero albums. I think both of those albums were great. I dont see how Nirvana could be a rip off of the Pixies. I completely disagree with that. Like you said, just lazy journalism, or some jealous Pixies fans. I think Nirvana was better.

I dont see what more is left to be said about Dylan. It seems that the main Dylan hater doesnt have much left to say.

Whats your favorite Dylan album?
The Dylan/Nirvana comparison can only be made to a very restricted degree in that, not only were their styles completely different, you cannot possibly compare a band that released 3 studio albums to a guy that has been releasing albums, many of them great, for nigh on 50 years. They just served the same purpose and had the same impact contextually. It's all relative.

I also don't think Nirvana were better than Pixies, but that's for a different thread.

And it's a toss up between The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, The Basement Tapes and Blood on the Tracks!
Sneer is offline   Reply With Quote