Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan
Thread: Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 09:02 AM   #292 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
But Dylan did put it on the map, he popularized it more than any other folk artist before him and he is responsible for the development of folk rock.
He popularized American folk music, and he helped create folk rock.

Quote:
I did not say that Dylan pioneered lyrics
No, I think he helped bring abstractions to lyricism in modern music. I see that as a somewhat sizable contribution... especially since it became popular shortly after his inclusion of them.

However, if we're going to talk about pioneers in lyricism, I feel that The Velvet Underground (whose frontman was actually heavily influenced by Dylan) were much more important. They brought both intelligence and "forbidden" subject matters to rock, and this was around the same time that Dylan started to (1965).

Quote:
I said he pioneered depth in song lyrics by adding the intellectualism of classic literature and poetry.
Can you please share with us some examples of this?

Quote:
Its pretty obvious that Dylan was on another level of writing than Woody Guthrie was. It is evident when you compare their lyrics. Dylan was much more poetic.
I agree, but being a decent lyricist doesn't make you a decent musician.

Quote:
There wasnt any rock n roll that sounded anything like the rock n roll that Dylan was making.
You know what... I think you might be right. While his "regressive preservation" of folk music is down-heartening, he certainly helped change rock's sound (for better or for worse).

Quote:
He unquestionably added lyrical depth and intelligence to the music. If he didnt, tell me who did.
I think Leonard Cohen did a much better job, but Dylan was certainly one of the first.

Quote:
I suppose none of these people know anything about music or have the ability to recognize good music.
There's no such thing as "good" music. Since music is an art form, one's interpretation of it is entirely subjective. Also, being condescending on this website won't get you very far, my friend.
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote