View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #4875 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaltezon View Post
A memorable mixup of Burke's career was in 1964 when the Ku Klux Klan booked him to entertain at one of their rallies. Having heard his country song 'Just Out Of Reach', the planners were under the mistaken impression that he was a white singer. Burke himself was at first unaware that he was entertaining the Klan, but all turned out well when he showed up they liked his performance.
This story made me curious enough about Solomon Burke's life to learn more about his performance for the Klan. I learned from Wikipedia that the only reason it turned out well is that the doctor wrapped up Solomon Burke's face and hands in bandages so that the Klan couldn't tell his skin color!

I would have been terrified facing up to 30,000 hooded Klansmen. I've been afraid of the Ku Klux Klan ever since I was a kid. Burke said he was scared, too:

Quote:
King Solomon - CBS News

...when [Solomon Burke] rolled into South Carolina in 1960, the promoters were expecting someone who looked more like Gene Autry.

"They said, 'The only way you're gonna go out there on that stage, my man, is bandaged up, doc. What do you think?' So they bandaged me up," recalls Burke. "Bandaged up my hands and bandaged up my face. And I was like the invisible man. And I went out and I sang. And did the four songs."

"I mean, when the sheriff's telling you you're gonna go out there bandaged up, you figured, the thing is, we wanna get out of these bandages," adds Burke, who was more scared than angry. "I was a little frightened The idea of once we got the bandages off and they said everything was fine, we had been paid, and it was just unbelievable how music can solve a lot of problems."
I also learned that Solomon Burke passed up a chance to sing the song "Hang On Sloopy," and I'm glad about that because I like the way The McCoys sing it. I've posted the song before but here it is again, but this time with the original video, which I'd never seen before:

The McCoys - "Hang On Sloopy"
"Hang on Sloopy" was really popular in roller skating rinks in the '70s, so whenever I hear this song I see in my mind's eye a honey-colored wooden skating floor and a sparkly disco ball.

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote