Music Banter - View Single Post - Why do you like Country?
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 12:06 AM   #273 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
it doesn't even have to be a white dude doing it though

Exhibit A.

Well. ^ This was a surprise. I had no idea Country Rap existed until Necromancer and you started talking about it.

Unlike the OP from years ago, I don't think all country music is horrible, but I don't fancy many country songs, probably because the music often seems to be stuck in the past and not very innovative, and the lyrics often seem almost awkwardly emotional (when love songs) or simplistic (when about any topic).

I am particularly repelled by the way country music seems to be about appearances (the hat, the jeans, etc. etc.) and twangy accents that to my ears sound contrived. If someone tries to make her voice sound more "country" to sing a country song, then I feel like I'm listening to Disneyland's Country Bears Jamboree, and the singers seem to lack depth, much like Jamboree mechanical bears:

Disneyland's Country Bears Jamboree
I think I've sat through this show twice in real life. Automated bears creep me out. :/

But as a child I loved John Denver's "Country Roads," so I know there is a little country in me. Country music can make life seem simple, straightforward, and joyous, and sometimes I like that buoyancy.

John Denver - "Country Roads"

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote