Music Banter - View Single Post - Tom Waits - Bad As Me
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 06:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post
You people are insane, Alice is his best album since Bone Machine. I think the ballads in his 70s and 80s album are of filler quality, but since the 90s they have been excellent.
So you disagree then that the weakest songs on this album are "Pay Me" and "Last Leaf"? Those two are definite skippers for me. Some of the other ballads are good though, like "Face to the Highway".

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post
As for the new album, after two listens I'm loving it. "Hell broke Luce" is probably my favourite track at the moment. The lyrics are a bit hard to hear throughout the album as is usual with modern era Waits album, but I usually pick up on them on further listening.
I like "Hell Broke Luce" a lot too. I don't have any trouble understanding the lyrics though, never have with his songs in general. Maybe it's just the faux-southern accent on songs like that make him harder to understand if English isn't you first language?

Anyway, yeah, "Hell Broke Luce" is great, as you say one of the heaviest songs he's ever done, and it's hilarious to hear him swearing so much in a song. My other nomination for best song on the album are the first four tracks, "Chicago", "Raised Right Men", "Talking at the Same Time", and "Get Lost".
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote