Music Banter - View Single Post - Pre-WWII Avant-garde Music
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
blastingas10
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pat View Post
Blues music wasn't all that unknown (as far as music composition goes) in the beginning... its sound was derived from the melancholy folk songs that African Americans would sing while they would work. Also, avant-garde music is characterized by being structurally unconventional and (usually, if not always) atonal... blues is not. Personally, I prefer the term "avant-garde" to "experimental" to avoid any confusion... or those just wanting to argue about semantics and genre-naming in music.

Here are two songs that were released in the early 20th Century... one is a delta blues song and the other is an avant-garde/noise piece.

Do you understand what I'm getting at?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
You're acting like blues sprang into existence fully formed at some particular time, but it didn't. It's the product of organically evolving musical tradition and, as such, is essentially the antithesis of "avant-garde" as the term is generally used.

All music has been a product of evolution, Whether it was the evolution of traditional music or the evolution of technology. Music isn't all about technical ability and experimenting, it's about feeling. And I honestly don't see how there is any feeling in that video above. Seems like its all about experimentation.

Last edited by blastingas10; 11-02-2011 at 08:13 PM.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote