Music Banter - View Single Post - The Worst Punk band out there
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 10:04 AM   #21 (permalink)
bob.
Still sends his reguards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post

Add to that Sex Pistols, who I think were not just overrated but downright terrible. Of course, this is anathema to theological music puritans -- it's construed as the equivalent to denigrating the Beatles. Get rid of the awful clothes, the vomitus, the cancerous tumor of a band manager and you've got one shitty band without a real bassist, an awful singer and some of the most deliberately contentious lyrics.

Never mind the establishment, here's some tepid music you can freak your parents out by listening to! ANARCHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
i personally would not say the sex pistols are horrible....i love Pretty Vacant and Bodies was a great song....but for the most part i agree with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop bunny hop View Post
I disagree. His on stage antics aren't unique (see Throbbing Gristle); however, as far as showmen go he was prolific and his work spanned several genres. He went from pop punk ("You Hate Me I Hate You") to outlaw country ("Guns, Bitches, Brawls & Bottles") to extreme music ("Castration Crucifixion").... and he often hit on genres between these.

He certainly is not the most talented in any of these, and his lyrical themes were (more or less) limited to getting ****ed up, ****ing, & ****ing others up - which is to say drinking music - but truly, if you are drinking with friends for a night, GG's discography alone can cover a surprisingly diverse variety of emotions and sensations that will pop up.
actually Throbbing Gristle never really had stage antics.....it was Coum Transmissions that had "disgusting" performance art....given that 3/4 of Throbbing Gristle were Coum....its understandable to confuse the two....basically TG started off as an experiment to create soundtrack to Coum performances and then morphed into a "band"....i've seen TG twice andf have watched every old performance i could get my hands on....and for the most part they are just 4 people "playing" instruments...SPK on the other hand would show videos of autopsies and abortions while performing....and Skinny Puppy would have "toys" and blood and vomit in their live shows

i have to agree with hip hop on this one....although i'm not a huge fan of GG....some of songs are just damn good
bob. is offline   Reply With Quote