Music Banter - View Single Post - What audio gear have you gained lately?
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 03:54 AM   #156 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict

Haha, if I turn out to dislike my wharfedales I'll think of you.
Not sure how much shipping is, though.
These wharfedales usually cost around 50-60 bucks here. And as far as I've heard they are really value for money.

As far as subs go; I used to have a REL Subwoofer and I still disagree with all those who say low frequencies display no stereo imagery at all. If you listen to music like Tool with a sub or with two full range speakers, you will notice the difference. With a sub your low end will just become cluttered. Even with frequencies below 100hz.

But, I should add this; If there's one thing I've learned from all these years of 'audiophility', it is that it seems as though not everyone is sensitive for the same problems in audio. I myself fail to recognize sound that's out of phase. Other people hear this within the second. Then there's people who don't hear wow or flutter, people who don't hear dropouts, people who cannot seem to grab the idea of stereo imagery, people who cannot hear dither from certain CD players... Etcetera. These are usually people who have got very well-trained ears and really know what they'r talking about, yet they are (mentally, I think) not capable of hearing certain deviations in sound.
For instance, I've never been able to listen to early 90's high-end Denon CD players. They sound epic, but something in the high up frequencies (above 15khz) keeps annoying me. A lot of people, who are physically very well capable of hearing these frequencies, haven't got a clue what I'm on about. Even people who've got audio gear worth 40.000 bucks (and know how to use it), just don't hear what I hear.

Eitherway, what I was trying to say; I think I have a certain sensitivity for subwoofers that most people don't have. They work for 99% of the people. Even the guy with the 40.000 bucks audio set-up advised me a subwoofer.
I won't mind trying, but I know I will always be able to hear there's a subwoofer playing along with my speakers. Along with, not together.

And then there's the other problem; There's just one spot in my living room where I lack those frequencies. If I were to use a sub, the rest of the room would go nuts .