Music Banter - View Single Post - Foster the People
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #22 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

I tend to think of Standard as a band thats just going through the motions like the Foo Fighters, or U2, or as I said before - Coldplay. Like they've kept producing the same ol' song and you sort or know what you're getting when you listen to a track by them.

As for your other comparisons, I don't know if I'd compare acts like The Flaming Lips, SFA, or NMH to MGMT, FTP, or Passion Pit. To me theres a spacey-distant quality to the latter bands that I don't get from the former, and I think thats one of the aspects I really enjoy. I get the same sense from songs like: (All listed to triangluate my coordinates on what the hell I'm talking about)

"Sweet Disposition" by the Temper Trap
"From Yesterday" by 30 Seconds to Mars
"Where?" by Ultraspank
"Touched" by V.A.S.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomClancy11 View Post
Bands I like with a similar sound...? Quite tough. I really like Beach House's "Teen Dream" and I think I would by lying if I said I didn't really enjoy MGMT's "Oracular Spectacular" at least when it first came out.

Best coast are a good example of a band that is hit or miss. I enjoy the songs "Boyfriend" and "When I'm with You", but the rest of the album is a slight drag because it is not focused enough. It's not bad by any means, but it doesn't stand out in any way.

One problem I have is placing bands like The Flaming Lips, Spiritualized, The Breeders, The Polyphonic Spree, Animal Collective, Neutral Milk Hotel, Super Furry Animals etc. alongside the ones mentioned. If they are considered similar, I would say I enjoy them more.