Music Banter - View Single Post - The Robert Johnson Appreciation Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #61 (permalink)
Necromancer
Divination

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRIUSB View Post
Here are a few facts behind Robert Johnson as they were told to me by Honeyboy Edwards
The devil at the crossroads myth is older than Johnson, Skip James, Petie Wilson, Tommy Johnson, and other older delta musicians already used this schtick, so it was something that Johnson embraced as a gimmick.

He left the area for over a year and when he returned he had become much better, more likely due to practicing and gigging around other parts, but who knows, the devil works in mysterious way!

Every one of Johnsons songs can be traced to older songs, unfortunately Robert wasn't as original as we give him credit for . . . but he did develop a very cool fingerstyle way of playing.
I doubt that Robert Johnson ever played any of his songs in the exact same way whenever he performed, since the blues, especially the Delta Blues in the 30s relied on emphasis more so, than any kind of prior formal musical arrangement before doing a show. This is only my opinion of course, and you would more than likely, be more versed on the subject than I am SIRIUSB.

I guess I'm trying to find some solid ground for originality. Whats your opinion?
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote